29 November 2017
Last modified: 29 November 2017
Google Scholar is a great place to begin your research, but it does come with its own set of pros and cons.
Table 1. Google Strengths & Weaknesses, from NYU Libraries. Advanced Google Searching: Google Scholar. NYU Libraries. New York University. 29 Nov 2017.<https://guides.nyu.edu/googlescholar>.
|Google Scholar Strengths
||Google Scholar Weaknesses
- Getting the “big picture” of the scholarly discourse around a topic.
- Viewing books, articles, conference proceedings, and more in one list.
- Determining authors and publications in an area of interest.
- Tracking down incomplete citations.
- Limiting and sorting results by type (eg. peer reviewed articles, full-text, reviews).
- Searching within a specific discipline
- Browsing by journal title.
- Doing a comprehensive search for a literature review.
- Using controlled vocabulary to search by subject.
- Emailing lists of search results.